Is it legal to have a non-sexual relationship with a minor?

Question Details: Is it legal for there to be a relationship between an adult and someone who is under 16?

Filed under Youth Law | 3473 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

The law in New Zealand does not totally prohibit someone who is under the age of sixteen engaging in a non-sexual relationship with an adult.

However, it is important to note that the law in New Zealand DOES prohibit adults from engaging in "indecent acts" with someone under 16. An "indecent act" is one that, given the “time, place and circumstances”, would be considered indecent by “right minded persons” and is such as to “warrant the sanction of the law”. Generally, an "indecent act" would be of a sexual nature, but does not necessarily have to be sexual to be considered "indecent".

Furthermore, it is an offence to meet, arrange to meet, travel with the intention to meet, or convince a minor to do the same, if you have the intention to commit an "indecent act". More commonly, this offence is known as "grooming".

More generally, the law says that when a person turns 16, they can legally consent to sexual activity, both heterosexual and homosexual. Turning 16 also brings with it other rights - click on the following link for more information about legal ages:

Answered 25 Jul 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.