Can we exclude some of our children from a will?

Question Details: We want to exclude some of our children from a will, how do we do this?

Filed under Wills/Estates | 1998 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

It is very hard to effectively and completely exclude any of your children from your will. If your will leaves nothing to your children, they could still claim part of your estate through the courts.

If your children think your will does not adequately provide for them, they can apply to the Family Court after your death. The Court will consider whether your will adequately provides for your children's maintenance and support. Then, it can order that your children receive any amount it thinks fit from your estate.

However, the Court can consider why you excluded your children when it decides whether to make an order (and for what amount). We therefore suggest that you put your reasons in writing if you do exclude your children from your will. Your lawyer should be able to help with this when you write your will.

See the section on the Family Protection Act at for more information.

Answered 7 Oct 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.