How can I appeal an IRD decision regarding student loan repayments?

Question Details: My brother and his partner reside in Australia and wish to pay back their NZ Student Loan, but the IRD want more than they can afford. They have one modest income (both with high student loan debts and both long term defaulters/fines). Can they appeal the calculation?

Filed under Welfare/Benefits | 2666 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

They cannot appeal their student loan assessment.

Anyone with a student loan who is overseas for 184 days (six months) or more in a 12 month period has to make student loan repayments based on the value of their loan. Inland Revenue provide a calculator to show what these repayments are likely to be here:

For someone who is overseas, student loan repayments are due in two instalments each year. It is possible to make smaller, more frequent payments as long as the total amount due is paid by the due date each year. More detail is available here:

Because your brother and his partner are already behind in their payments, they should consider contacting Inland Revenue to discuss their situation. Inland Revenue set out some of the options that are available here:

Answered 26 Feb 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.