What must a landlord legally provide in a rental property?

Question Details: Am I right that they have to provide a stove (with oven), running water, and laundry facilities? Is there anything else a landlord must supply by law?

Filed under Tenancy | 14631 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

A landlord must provide a way for food to be cooked by both boiling and baking (usually an oven with a cooktop) and ensure the house has drinkable water supplied to it. A kitchen or kitchenette must also have a sink and tap connected to drinkable water. The house must have a space with plumbing for washing clothes if more than 2 people can live in the house. The landlord is not required to provide a washing machine and dryer.

There must be some form of heating in the living room. The bathroom must have a bath or shower, and toilet facilities must be provided.

The bathroom should have ventilation, by a window or another form of ventilation. The house should be free from dampness and able to be ventilated.

There are minimum standards for the size of the rooms. Click here for regulations setting out the minimum requirements: www.legislation.govt.nz

You can call 0800 TENANCY or visit www.dbh.govt.nz for more information.

Answered 11 Apr 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.