Can a court collections officer action a distress warrant against the personal assets of a company's owner? I'm seeking my tenancy bond refund.

Question Details: My landlord is a limited company made of one director/shareholder (now dead). A second shareholder is now running the business under a different name. One accountant has confirmed that the company is in debt. The company applied for insolvency which is now disputed by the IRD. I have a court order for debt collection and need to provide information about the company's assets but was not able to find anything in the Personal Property Securities Register. Can a court collections officer be sent to action a distress warrant against the personal assets of the company owner?

Filed under Tenancy | 1606 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

A Court collections officer can only action a warrant on the party that the Court has made the order against. If the order is against the company, the warrant can only be actioned against that company. If you want an order against the personal assets of a shareholder, you will need to ask the Court for such an order. Contact Collections or read more here:

Answered 18 Nov 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.