Do I need a lawyer for my property sale?

Question Details: I am selling a property. The contract has been signed and I have received the deposit. The buyer's solicitor says that I need a lawyer to complete the sale through LandOnline. I cannot see why I need a lawyer for this transaction. Do I need a lawyer for my property sale?

Filed under Property Law | 5526 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

It is technically possible to sell your property without using a lawyer, but given the complications that can arise and the significant value of the transaction, we suggest that it is a good idea to pay a lawyer. Click this link to read a Law Society publication about the process:

The transfer of legal title of the property from one owner to another can either be completed electronically through LandOnline or manually through filing paper based documentation.

To do an electronic transfer, you need a lawyer, because only those with a licence from Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) can use LandOnline. More information can be found on the webpage of the Property Law Section of the New Zealand Law Society, and they can also help you to find a lawyer in your area:

If you choose to lodge the transfer manually without the assistance of a property lawyer, details on how to do this and the forms required are on the LINZ website:

Answered 19 Aug 2012. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.