I am unemployed. Is my house at risk if my partner files for bankruptcy?

Question Details: I own my own home which I purchased 7 years ago, and for the last 6 months my partner has been living with me. I am currently unemployed so he financially supports me. He is considering going bankrupt due to heavy debts he has incurred. If he does so, could my house be at risk?

Filed under Property Law | 2803 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

There is a chance that your house is at risk if your partner files for bankruptcy. Unfortunately, we cannot provide a definite answer to your question, because we would need to know more information about your relationship with your partner, your mortgage, and the debt that your partner owes.

New Zealand Insolvency and Trustee Service can help you further. They are a government organisation which provides free information to people thinking about declaring bankruptcy. You can phone them for free on 0508 467 658 (0508 INSOLVENCY) or visit their website www.insolvency.govt.nz.

We also suggest that you and your partner talk to a budget adviser: www.familybudgeting.org.nz. They know these processes very well and can support you through them.

Answered 27 Jan 2014. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.