Is noise control able to tell my neighbours that I was behind a complaint - I had understood it is a confidential service?

Question Details: I have made a number of noise complaints about my neighbours to the council and noise control have told the residents that it was me that complained. I subsequently have had abuse from the neighbours. Is noise control allowed to do this as I understood it is a confidential service?

Filed under Neighbours | 1768 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

It will be up to your local Council to decide if they tell your neighbour that you have made a noise complaint. Noise control policies differ from region to region, so you should check with your local Council if the complaints process is confidential.

Local Councils are legally entitled to refuse to release the name of the complainant (under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987). In particular, if releasing the name would endanger the safety of any person (including you). On this basis, many Councils choose not to release any details of people making noise complaints. But again we suggest that you should talk to your local Council about your concerns.

Answered 13 Dec 2012. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.