Can I get legal aid to launch a Judicial Review claim?

Question Details: I have a claim that I would like to take to judicial review at the High Court. Is legal aid available for this kind of work? If not, is it likely I will be able to find a lawyer to take this kind of case pro bono?

Filed under Legal Aid | 1804 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

Yes, you may be able to get legal aid to bring judicial review proceedings in the High Court. Legal aid is possible for civil proceedings in the High Court, and judicial review is a type of civil proceeding. Whether you will actually get legal aid depends on your income, assets and how good your legal case is. Eligibility for civil legal aid is explained here: and

The Ministry of Justice website provides further information on seeking legal aid, including how to find a lawyer who may be able to assist you: and

You can also visit your local Community Law Centre for advice on your options:

You may also be interested in recent reforms of legal aid:

Answered 27 Aug 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.