How do I organise my parents' immigration to New Zealand?

Question Details: I emigrated to New Zealand 7 years ago and am now an NZ citizen. My brother also lives in NZ is set to become a citizen this year. Our parents are pensioners in South Africa and I'd like them to join us in NZ but have no idea how to sponsor their immigration, particularly because my mother has health problems. How do I go about getting my parents to NZ?

Filed under Refugee and Immigration Law | 1917 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

You should start with reading on Immigration New Zealand's website, and then engage an immigration lawyer or immigration advisor if you feel that you need further help.

Under current Immigration policy the most obvious possibility for your parents to use is the Parent Category. If they meet the policy requirements, your parents need to make an application to Immigration New Zealand. Your parents would be required to have an "acceptable standard of health". Sometimes Immigration will grant waivers for health issues. This will depend on what the health issue is.

The Parent Category policy requirements are helpfully summarised at:

Information about health waivers can be found at:

The application forms can be found at:

You can find out where to send the application and how much it will cost at:

Answered 6 Aug 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.