Is there any way for a person who came to NZ on a partnership visa to stay in the country if the relationship ends?

Question Details: A friend of mine brought a partner he met overseas back to NZ on a partnership visa. His partner will be granted residency after two years. It has now been one year, and my friend wants to end the relationship. However, he does not want to be the one to force her to go home when she has good friends and a job here. Is there any way that she could stay in the country if they do separate?

Filed under Refugee and Immigration Law | 1535 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

The person can stay if she qualifies for a different visa.

If the partnership ends, she will no longer qualify for the partnership visa. However, there are different visas that she might be able to apply for. Her options depend on a lot of different facts. If they have used a lawyer or immigration adviser in the past, they could talk to that person again about her options. Otherwise they could look at the options on Immigration New Zealand's website:

It is also important that your friend does not breach his obligations to Immigration New Zealand. If he is supporting his partner for residence and that partnership ends, he must inform Immigration New Zealand immediately.

All the categories of possible visas can be found at:

Answered 19 Sep 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.