Can a NZ permanent resident travel overseas when their passport is expired?

Question Details: I need to go overseas urgently, but my passport has expired and I can't get a new one because of the political situation in my home country. Is there any way that I can travel overseas?

Filed under Refugee and Immigration Law | 2135 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

You may be able to travel overseas with a Certificate of Identity. These are issued by the Department of Internal Affairs. You can apply for a Certificate of Identity if you are not a New Zealand citizen and are genuinely unable to obtain a passport from your home country.

The application form, along with information about the application process, can be accessed here: Among other information, it will require you to list the countries you intend to visit. The application fee is $81.70.

If granted, a Certificate of Identity will allow you to leave New Zealand. It will expire one year from the date of issue.

You will still need to obtain a visa to enter other countries. Also, a Certificate of Identity does not automatically allow you to re-enter New Zealand - to do that you will need to obtain either a Returning Resident's Visa or a re-entry permit from Immigration New Zealand.

You say you need to go overseas urgently. The regular processing time for certificates of identity is a minimum of 20 working days. If your travel is more urgent than this, you should contact the New Zealand Passport Office - they may be able to help you. Their contact details can be found here:

Answered 26 Mar 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.