How can I legally register myself as a refugee/displaced person in NZ as a foreigner?

Question Details: I come from a country that is full of corruption and crime. How can I register to become a refugee in New Zealand?

Filed under Human Rights and Discrimination | 1660 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

To become a refugee in NZ you need to make a claim to the Refugee Status Branch of Immigration NZ. Read more on Immigration New Zealand's website by clicking here:

You can contact the Refugee Status Branch directly, but we would suggest that you may want to talk to a lawyer first. Contact your local Community Law Centre to find out about options for immigration advice near you:

To become a refugee, you must have reasons to believe that there is real danger for you to return to your home country. This means that if you return home you risk torture, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, or death.

Click here for the application form on applying to be a refugee in NZ:

Answered 19 Dec 2012. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.