Can a minor live with their friend in a different country to the minor's parents?

Question Details: Can a minor live with their friend in a different country to the minor's parents?

Filed under Human Rights and Discrimination | 3177 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Cooper Legal

This depends on what you mean by 'minor'.

You are not legally allowed to leave home until you are 16 years old. Before this age, the police or CYFS can uplift you and return you to your parents house.

Under the age of 16, you cannot get a passport without your parents consent. You would also be unable to get a visa for most countries under this age, without parental consent. This would make it very difficult to travel abroad.

Depending on the age of your friend, they could get in serious trouble for helping you leave your home and the country.

If you are over 16, but under 18, then you can get a passport on your own, and leave you family home.

At this time, you are free to live where you want, but will still be subject to restrictions in the areas of housing, benefits, employment and the ability to sign contracts, due to your young age.

Further, although you can leave home at 16, you are legally under the guardianship of your parents until you are 18. If your parents consider that you lack the maturity and judgment to move, or your functioning has been impaired, they can apply to the Family Court to have their rights enforced. Following this, the police or CYFS can uplift you and bring you home.

Answered 6 Oct 2014. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.