My wife is suffering from nerve damage from an ACC paid breast surgery 12 months ago. ACC won't pay for additional treatments, what are our options?

Question Details: My wife used to work and be pretty fit back before the surgery, but now her quality of life has been taken from her because of nerve damage from the surgery. The surgery confirmed that the lump they removed was not cancerous. Our family doctor has tried to get through to ACC with forms, but haven't had much luck. What can we do in this situation?

Filed under Health, Disability and ACC | 1858 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

If ACC has rejected your claim, you can request ACC review its decision. This is free and will involve a formal hearing. If you are unhappy with the outcome of the hearing, the review decision can be appealed to the District Court. Separately, you can also attend a free mediation with ACC to discuss your concerns. This will be facilitated by an independent mediator.

Full details of your options are available here: You should first discuss this with your doctor and confirm he or she has properly filed a claim. Your doctor may also be able to help you with the review process, as may a lawyer.

For help finding an appropriate lawyer near you, you can contact your local community law centre (see or the New Zealand Law Society (see

Answered 12 Aug 2012. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.