My mum is a heavy drinker and has become very aggressive and very abusive towards me and my dad. What can we do?

Question Details: My mum lives downstairs at my dad's house and she gets very abusive towards us. What can we do about it?

Filed under Family Law | 1847 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

There are a few people you can talk to for help:

First, you could talk to your dad about your concerns. And you or he could come to a Community Law Centre to talk about your concerns:

You can also seek free, confidential support from Kidsline (if you are under 14) on 0800 54 37 54 ( or from Youthline (if you are over 14) on 0800 37 66 33 ( or freetext 234. You might also want to talk to Youthlaw 0800 UTHLAW (884 529)

If your mum continues to be abusive or you ever feel unsafe, call the Police (111) or Child, Youth and Family (0508 326 459).

Answered 9 Sep 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.