If I have shared custody of my kids for 50% of the time, do I need to pay child support?

Question Details: If I have 50% shared custody of my kids, do I need to pay any child support? Or will my paying for the time the kids are in their mother's care be balanced out by her paying for the time they're in my care? Also, if I do need to pay, does that money go straight to the mother or does the IRD take a cut?

Filed under Family Law | 3341 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

The answer to your question is currently complex and depends on your particular circumstances, although the law will change from 2014. For the current law, please see the IRD pamphlet on the effect of shared care on child support payments and related matters here at www.ird.govt.nz.

The IRD collects payments from the paying parent and passes them on to the recipient parent without taking a cut. For more information on how child support works generally and how payments can be made, click here: www.ird.govt.nz and www.ird.govt.nz.

This area of law will change from 2014. The IRD has released guidance on how shared custody will then affect your obligation to pay child support at www.ird.govt.nz.

Answered 19 Aug 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.