How can I dissolve my New Zealand marriage if I live overseas?

Question Details: I live in Australia and my ex-husband lives in New Zealand. We separated in early 2009 and I left the country several months later. We have not been together at all since then. We have no children, and our assets were divided at the time of separation. How would we go about formally dissolving the marriage, especially when I am not in the country?

Filed under Family Law | 2013 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

The answer to your question is provided by the Family Court at this link, (under "Who can make an application for a dissolution order?").

For further information on how to apply for a dissolution order, see the Community Law Manual at

It would probably be easiest for you and your ex-husband to file a joint application at the Family Court nearest where he lives. The joint application forms are here:

Answered 30 Oct 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.