Is it possible to get school counsellor records wiped if they contain false information?

Question Details: I was accused of sending death threats to a former friend, after she fabricated 'evidence' of this occurring. Since this never happened, her claim against me was dropped - but our school guidance counsellor became involved and there are school records of this issue which do not state my innocence. Is it possible to get these records wiped?

Filed under Defamation | 1971 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

You don't have a right to get these records wiped completely, but you can get your side of the story recorded.

Your school is allowed to hold personal information about its students for the purpose of running the school, and your guidance counsellor probably has good reasons to keep records of a death threat, real or made-up.

However, you are entitled to request that the school corrects your personal information on your file. Your school has an obligation to ensure that your information is accurate, up-to-date, complete, and not misleading.

If your school is not willing to make your requested correction, you may request that your school attaches your requested correction to your record, so that your side of the story will always be read with your records.

In any event, your school can only disclose this information in very limited circumstances (for example, your school may disclose this information to the police if it believes the police need the information to investigate an offence).

If you think your school is not complying with the above principles, it is possible to make a compliant to the Privacy Commissioner. Please click here for more information:

If you would like further information on your rights on this issue, contact your local Community Law Centre to find out about options near you:

Answered 6 Aug 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.