Can I change my guilty plea after being sentenced?

Question Details: I feel as though the police and my lawyer did not assist me enough and that I acted in self defence. Can I still change my plea even after I have been sentenced?

Filed under Criminal Law | 2313 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

No, you may not change your guilty plea after being sentenced.

However, you may be able to appeal against your conviction or sentence if you feel the police or your lawyer did not act appropriately or that you have a defence. You can find some more information on appeals here:

It would be worth talking to a lawyer about your options for appeal and legal aid for bringing an appeal. There are time limits for bringing an appeal so it would be best to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible.

Answered 30 Oct 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.