How can I change my bail address?

Question Details: I have been granted bail, but the girl who owns the house wants me out immediately. I do have a place to stay but its not my "legal bail address." Can I register the change of address with the court and if so, how?

Filed under Criminal Law | 10849 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

Yes, you can change your address. You will need to either see your lawyer or go to your nearest District Court (preferably the one dealing with your case) to fill out an application to change your conditions. Usually the Court will need to send the form to the Police for them to check the address and either consent to or oppose your application.

Be wary that this can take time and in the meantime your original bail address will stand. If the Police check that address and find you are not residing there, they may seek to arrest you for breaching your conditions.

For more information on bail see this link:

Answered 25 Jul 2013. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.