How do I change my bail conditions?

Question Details: My next court hearing isn't for another few weeks and I would like to change my bail conditions before then. What are my options for changing my bail conditions?

Filed under Criminal Law | 9172 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

Bail conditions can be changed but in practice this must be done by first asking the Police/Crown to agree to the changes. Who you ask will depend on whether the charge is a summary (Police) or indictable (Crown) charge.

If the Police/Crown don't agree, the only way to vary bail conditions is to ask a judge to decide the matter in court. It is important to note that certain conditions will be very difficult to change - for example if there is a condition not to contact the complainant in a domestic violence case.

Usually the best way is to ask your lawyer to do this for you.

However, you can go to the District Court and vary the conditions yourself with the court Registrar, although this may take a few days to finalise. You must also go back to court to sign your new bail bond if the changes are agreed to.

If a variation of your bail conditions is not approved, then you must still abide by your original bail conditions. If you do not, you may be arrested for breaching your bail conditions and a breach could be recorded on your conviction history. If you breach your bail conditions you also run the risk of being remanded in custody, so it is extremely important you do not do breach the conditions.

Answered 12 Nov 2012. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.